MINDFULNESS-BASED CHILDBIRTH AND PARENTING PROGRAM
TEACHER: Nancy Bardacke and Eluned Gold
DATE: 27 May 2021
This workshop is an introduction to Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting (MBCP) – a skills-based antenatal education program. Adapted from Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), MBCP was developed for pregnant women and their birth partners (Duncan & Bardacke, 2010).
MBCP combines mind-body meditation practices with antenatal education, teaching participants the skills to work with both body and mind during pregnancy, birth and parenthood.
Through experiential mindfulness meditation practices and conversation this workshop will provide you with a felt sense of how MBCP might offer:
• skills for working with pain and fear during pregnancy and childbirth;
• the potential for reducing anxiety and depression in pregnancy and the postpartum period;
• skills for managing stress, anxiety, anger and other emotions, as an expectant parent and parent in everyday life;
• an enhancement of partner communication;
• information on labour, breastfeeding, the postnatal period and the social and emotional needs of the newborn;
• an increase in the availability of caring attention for the baby after birth;
• the opportunity to be part of a community of new parents;
Throughout the workshop will be considered the theoretical underpinnings of MBCP and the evidence base for mindfulness-based approaches during pregnancy, birth and parenting.
Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting Education: Promoting Family Mindfulness During the Perinatal Period. J Child Fam Stud. 2010 Apr;19(2):190-202. Epub 2009 Oct 10.
Note: Live online workshop
Check subscription terms and conditions here.